Welcome to the Montauk Lighthouse, The oldest lighthouse in New York State.
A 724-acre park with five miles hiking
trails, a picnic area with tables, a playground, a restaurant, a gift shop,
and restrooms. offers views of the sea, Block Island Sound, and Block Island,
has surfcasting, and is great for bird watching year-round and seal watching
during the winter months. Plenty of parking available. The Montauk Point
Lighthouse, a museum run by the Montauk Historical Society, is open to the
public daily in-season.
The Lighthouse was authorized by the Second Congress, under President George Washington in 1792. Construction Began on June 7, 1796 and was
completed on November 5, 1796. This 100 foot tower has been a part of Long Island's land and seascape for over 200 years. It still serves as an active aid to navigation. Members of the U.S Lighthouse Services and the U.S Coast Guard have been the residing keepers, Tending the Lighthouse for those at sea. Whaling ships, steamers, submarines, fishing and sailing vessels of all kinds have passed this tower on Turtle Hill, guided and reassured by its presence. On land, generations of visitors have made the trek to Long Island's easternmost tip, marveling at this lighthouse, the work of the keeper, and the beauty of Montauk Point.